HP3000-L Archives

August 1998, Week 2

From:
Jon Diercks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Diercks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Aug 1998 15:32:44 -0500
Ok, I'm already sliding off-topic, but I have to say my biggest chuckle
today came from the very bottom of Hayes' list: the Tandy TRS-80 Model 100.
 That was the very first computer I ever owned, and I still have it!  Neat
little laptop.  32K RAM, 8-lines x 40-columns of LCD text.  Built-in text
editor, terminal emulator, calendar, address book, and BASIC interpreter.
Got me through college.

I've been meaning to pull it back out and write a quick BASIC program on it
to convert it into a desk clock.  It'd make a nice conversation piece, at
least.  Hayes was wise to include this piece of history on his list.  To my
knowledge, the M100 was the first true laptop computer to hit the market.
The dream of "anytime, anywhere" computing power began with this little
wonder.

At 02:43 PM 8/14/98 , Rudderow, Evan wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Point your browsers to
>http://www.computerworld.com/home/features.nsf/all/980803hayes
><http://www.computerworld.com/home/features.nsf/all/980803hayes>  to see
>Computerworld columnist Frank Hayes' Top 100 IT products of the century.
>HP3000 is in 37th place; where's Unix?
>
>Evan

Jon Diercks * Systems Manager * Information Technology Services
[log in to unmask] (PGP available)            Anderson University
http://rowlf.csv.anderson.edu/               1100 East Fifth St
(765)641-4305 * FAX (765)641-3851            Anderson, IN 46012