HP3000-L Archives

August 1998, Week 2

From:
Lee Gunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lee Gunter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Aug 1998 16:08:16 -0700
It doesn't address unplanned halts -- we always do a START RECOVERY in
these cases simply because the logging subsystem does *not* seem to recover
the user log files otherwise.

The problem with doing a :LOG xxx,STOP without a prior :CHANGELOG xxx is
that the stop record may be that which takes the open log file to its
limit.  When a :LOG xxx,RESTART is issued, the current file is already
full, and with no new file to which to write the restart record, the
:LOG,RESTART command fails.  If you haven't ever run into this, you've been
very lucky.  We hit it a couple of times several years ago before we
discovered the bug and implemented the :CHANGELOG procedure.

Lee