HP3000-L Archives

August 1998, Week 2

From:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Aug 1998 14:09:59 -0700
Jan writes:

> > How can I start Dynamical Detail Expension on an existing image
> > database, without using third party software like DBGENERAL?

> I think I did not make my reason clear, my collegues and I sometimes go
> to clients who do not have any third party tool for DDE therefore we
> wish to know a 'HP' way to do this.
>
> How to do it with DBGeneral is, clear to my collegues so they can show
> me that.
>
> Can anybody explain me how to use DBChange, this is mentioned by some of
> you in your replies.

Well then, if Jan's spurning any non-HP way of doing this, I guess
I'll save him the trouble of spurning non-HP advice, too!

Oh well...I guess I can't keep my mouth shut (or fingers still) very long :)

Jan...I've seen two basic reasons for wanting an "HP way" of doing things:

   1) people who think that only HP can do it right;

   2) people who want it free.

The former are sadly misinformed about the role and capabilities of HP
(or any other single vendor).  In the case of IMAGE database utilities,
the people who get it "right" are *ONLY* the third party tool vendors,
notably Adager (the first) and Bradmark and others.

The latter (people who want it free) ... well, they get what they pay for :)
...and they also are encouraging the death of innovation.  Every time that
HP comes out with a free product that competes with an existing product,
that vendor *AND OTHER VENDORS* say "hell, why should I enhance mine?
Why should I write something new?  Why should I stay with this platform?".
(Been there, asked that!)

Do you really want that?

Fair competition means *everyone* is a winner ... because of fair prices
and constant innovation.  When DBCHANGE was introduced, HP was careful
to price it similar to the competitors ... precisely to avoid unfairness.
The sad thing is, they provided little new functionality, and lacked
many, many things available in Adager.  Had they spent that R&D
in doing something *different*, the entire user community could have
benefitted from it.

DBCHANGE does not support DDX.  Most indications from HP imply that it
won't.  However, it isn't an entirely dead *PRODUCT* (i.e., it isn't free!),
so your requests may help get that feature added to it.  You can always
submit an enhancement request with HP....a process significantly more
difficult than submitting an enhancement request with the tool vendors :)
(OTOH, you can track your enhancement requests via the web with HP)

If you own DBCHANGE, I suggest contacting a tool vendor to see if they'll
consider a competitive upgrade for you.

--
Stan Sieler                                          [log in to unmask]
                                     http://www.allegro.com/sieler.html