HP3000-L Archives

August 1998, Week 2

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Aug 1998 16:08:05 -0400
Donna Garverick wrote:

> Richard Gambrell wrote:
>
> > There is the Education purchase discount program.  I've never heard
> > of anything more than that, unless maybe HP Foundation grants or
> > something like that.
>
> yes - that's it!  i think (insert std disclaimers :-) harry talked
> about it during his presentation at hpworld.  ring any bells?

It sounds wonderful, but to get them into higher education for
instructional use, you need to have CompSci faculty willing to develop
a curriculum based around them.

We have received a few "grant" systems from HP over the years, but
mostly for academic support issues.  When we went from the 2000 to the
3000, (the 2000 did have significant educational exposure), we setup a
project to migrate many of the contributed 2000 software plus Conduit
offerings to a 3000.  Another came in administrative support for an
advisement system (essentially degree check-list or audit) which we had
live in 1979 [Yes, this is ancient history].  The core student exposure
to the systems for instruction has dropped over the years and is
virtually nonexistant today, although we did set some worthwhile
precedents in other areas in the past.

Perhaps exploiting gcc/java/Apache other tools on the 3000 would be
possible, but then that isn't filling the "missing links" in the 3000
job marketplace.  Remember that you need not only the machine, but you
also need the faculty.

Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>