HP3000-L Archives

August 1998, Week 2

From:
Denys Beauchemin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 8 Aug 1998 17:14:00 -0500
X-no-Archive:yes
Gentle HP 3000 List Members,

Hiback is now available for Linux.  Following the concept behind Linux, the
Hiback software for Linux is free.  The support is free also, but is only
available through e-mail.  The source code, however, is definitely NOT
available, especially since recently, it has come to light that Hiback is
the very fastest backup solution for heterogeneous platforms. We certainly
do not want to show our competition how we are able to outperform them by
such a wide margin.

This is a test project for Hicomp.  You are invited to download the
software at the following address:  www.hicomp.com/ftp/hiback.exe until the
end of August.  Sometime between now and then, we will create a more
complete web page with all the information about the program, copyright
issues, licensing, support issues, limitations, etc. . .  The intent is to
give away Hiback for Linux to individuals and provide support via e-mail
only.  We are looking at the possibility of providing support for
corporations on the same basis as our purchasable products, for a fee.

You can also download the documentation for Hiback UNIX which will guide
you through the setup and use of Hiback. Check out
www.hicomp.com/hibdemos.htm.

Now for some disclaimers and rules:
Hicomp makes no promises of performance or suitability, or any other kind
of warranty either implicit or explicit. We reserve the right to terminate
this giveaway program at any time.  Also, you are not allowed to alter the
program in any way.  You can download it, try it out and if you like it,
use it.  You can distribute it, but it is still a Hicomp copyrighted
product.  This means the banner stays on the program, and whilst you can
have links to the Hicomp web site pointing to the Linux (or other)
versions, you cannot put the program at your or any other web site.  If you
have a problem or a question, write it up completely, with any error
message and e-mail it to [log in to unmask] with the word Linux in the
subject line.  No promise is made on the turn around time for questions.

Finally, we would appreciate any feedback via e-mail.  Again, these are the
tentative first steps in this program, so bear with us as we build upon it.

Stand by for more.

Kind regards,

Denys. . .

Denys Beauchemin
HICOMP America, Inc.
(800) 323-8863  (281) 288-7438         Fax: (281) 355-6879
denys at hicomp.com                             www.hicomp.com