HP3000-L Archives

August 1998, Week 2

From:
Patrick Santucci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Patrick Santucci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 10:50:18 -0500
Paul Christidis offers a good idea:

> A few minutes ago I finished reading the PowerPatch 5 communicator.  Partly
> based on what I read about 'MDX'/'DDX' and partly based on the excellent
> discussion on this list of the intent of this new functionality and how it
> should be used I thought of the following:
>
> It sure would be nice if one could configure, using DBUTIL perhaps, some
> method of notifying someone that an expansion had occurred.  It could be as
> simple as a ':tellop' command or, for more flexibility, the name of a
> command file with a predefined list of parameters (i.e. basename, setname,
> increment, etc..).

<other good points snipped>

My vote would be to have 'DB CAPACITY CHANGE' be a logged event, in the
same manner as LPMC (Low Priority Machine Check, type 152) or UPS
MONITOR LOG (type 148). The system log files are there for just this
kind of event, IMO.

We regularly scan our log files for events like the above, as well as
for modem logins (looking for particular LDEVs), ACD changes, and the
like. A daily job to the scan the system logs for the 'DB CAPACITY
CHANGE' event, and then send the appropriate notification, would be
fairly simple to setup. I agree with Paul that there should be a console
message as well, since these are also easily extracted from the logs,
and it might help those shops with operators.

FWIW,
Patrick
--
Patrick Santucci