HP3000-L Archives

August 1998, Week 1

From:
Jeff Woods <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Woods <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jul 1998 22:58:48 -0500
At 07:01 PM 7-31-98 -0400, Chris Bartram wrote:
>On-a-related-note: I never did get hold of a bpxl<restore> program that
>would allow me to restore (CM) Backpack tapes on my iX box. backrest from
>the tape gags. Seems like it'd be "neighborly" to make those restore programs
>available on a web or ftp site somewhere too... for those of us with lotsa
>old tapes lying 'round.

Although I'm no longer with Tivoli, I spent most of the last four years as
developer for RoadRunner on MPE.  The policy used to be that anyone who
needed to restore files from RoadRunner or BackPack and needed a newer
version of either application to run on their system was immediately
shipped a RoadRunner demo tape by the support engineer.  RoadRunner and
BackPack are not and have never been (to the best of my knowledge)
restricted by validation codes or anything else in their restore and
validate logic.

Full restore functionality was always intended to be available to anyone
anywhere.  While it's possible this policy could have been changed, I would
be stunned to find it was anything other than an error by the support
engineer handling the call.  I recommend that if anyone gets an answer like
the ones Chris and Stan got, that they ask to speak to a manager about it.
I can only hope it was due to a new and confused employee.  (They are
growing.)

To restore BackPack/V (Classic system) tapes on MPE/iX, BackPack/XL (an
NMprog) must be used.  All shipments of RoadRunner/MPE (at least always did
when I was there) include both RR and BPXL in PUB.TYM which may be used on
any MPE/iX system to restore files.

Also, while I'm not in the business of competing with Tivoli's support
group, I don't mind helping where I can.
--
Jeff Woods
[log in to unmask] [PGP key available here via finger]