HP3000-L Archives

August 1998, Week 1

From:
Ted Ashton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ted Ashton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Aug 1998 01:42:42 -0400
Here's the final report I expect to make from San Diego, at least.  All and
sundry feel free to send me questions, comments and flames which I will get
to in due time once I get home (back to my wife and daughter! :-).

Continuing on about SIGSYSMAN:  There were two improvements mentioned.   The
first we are requesting:
  On a large store/restore, we would like the message requesting the 2nd, 3rd,
etc. tape to not only be printed on the console, but also be posted in the
reply table as well (so that it will be available via :RECALL).

The second, a ";HIPRI" option on the :ALTJOB command, is done and in 6.0.

In SIGMPE, Jeff Kell and Stan Sieler got (re)elected at something near light
speed to the posts of chair and co-/vice/assistant/support/helper/sub-chair
(or something like that) respectively.  We touched on training again, had a
presentation from HP about requests which are now finished:
  1.  LISTF,ACCESS - Who is accesssing the file?           In 5.5 Exp 3
  2.  Multiple Job Queues                                  In 6.0
  3.  ALTJOB;HIPRI                                         In 6.0
  4.  Y2k enhancements                                     In 5.5 Exp 4
  5.  Complete set of date utilities/intrinsics            In 5.5 Exp 4
  6.  NEWUSER/NEWACCT for private volumes                  UDCs on Jazz

In progress:
  1.  Files greater than 4GB in size.
  2.  Enhance the MPE :ALLOW command to apply to users logged on or not.
      (Less inclusive than ALLOW @.@)

Enhancements in MPE/iX 6.0
  1.  POSIX filenames support additional special characters.
  2.  COPY command to accept MPE-syntax and POSIX syntax directory names for
      the TO= parameter.
  3.  New evaluator functions.

Enhancements in progress
  1.  Configurable Logon CI

The report on the top 10 list from '97 is as follows:

1. Enhance the MPE :ALLOW command to apply to users logged on or not, also
   known as permanant :ALLOW.
-- Design phase
2. Ability to kill a PIN rather than the whole session or job
-- Not planned
3. Allow filesets as part of COPY
-- Investigation (Postponed)
4. :SHOWOUT command shows the percent complete
-- Not planned
5. Allow system-wide user defined (CI) variables
-- Coding (Postponed)
6. Mirroring of the system volume set
-- Investigation done/Not planned
7. Ability to do a :STARTSESS for an ip address
-- Not planned
8. Provide ;HIPRI on :ALTJOB
-- In MPE/iX 6.0
9. Need :DISALLOW ocmmand to diable MPE commands
-- Not planned
10.Add new parameter to :SPOOLF to adjust copies remaining
-- Not planned

We were just getting into the design discussion about permanant :ALLOW when we
got kicked out of the room, so I don't know what happened there.  Jeff, feel
free to jump in with answers, corrections, great wisdom or whatever seems
appropriate.

I said I was off to learn about Data Warehousing and learn I did.  I can't
claim to know lots now, but what I did learn was that HP seems to have pulled
together a solution which (at least to the novice) looks like a pretty
impressive package.  In the handout it's called HP3K-Vault, but I think it was
called Decision Vault in the meeting.  It consists of a 3K running IMAGE/SQL,
Bridgeware from Taurus and Quest, OMNIDEX from DISC and BrioQuery from Brio.
I'm not nearly knowlegable enough to know how good this stuff is, but from what
little I saw, I'd definitely put it on the list to investigate if I needed a
datawarehousing solution.

Beyond that, today included a marvelous presentation by Jeff Vance on the new
features of 6.0 (to quote from his handout, "More information is available on
the MPE jazz web server: http://jazz.external.hp.com.  Follow "MPE Papers" ...)
A wonderful talk by Alfredo on Image/SQL performance (and almost every other
topic under the sun :-) *with PowerPoint slides every bit as good as Oracle's
:-)* and the Management Roundtable.  From my perspective, the answers from HP
were excellent for the most part, particularly for the pre-submitted questions.
There was one question from Ken Sletten about what HP was providing to help
customers get moved up to the latest version of MPE which I think Harry
Sterling didn't understand because his answer didn't fit the question very well
(Ken, feel free to say more if it seems appropriate) and another fairly
technical question about MPE providing information to programs on how many
users are running it (which, I think MPE can do, but I'm willing to be told I'm
wrong about that).

The question, as it was stated, was linked in with pricing and Harry understood
it to be about pricing options on the 3000, I think, and kept sending us back
to the new pricing scheme (well worth checking out if what he said is true).
Otherwise, though, I, for one, didn't feel there was a lot of putting us off
or feeding us lines that was happening.

Anywho.  'tis getting late here and I need to get to bed.  I'm gonna turn in
this press card and get back to my regularly scheduled programming by early
next week :-).

Take care and God bless,
Ted

P.S.  Alfredo, if you ever want to do an all-day seminar with no topic
whatsoever, let me know and I'll sign up for advance tickets :-).
--
Ted Ashton ([log in to unmask]), Info Serv, Southern Adventist University
I do hate sums. There is no greater mistake than to call arithmetic an exact