HP3000-L Archives

August 1998, Week 1

From:
Ian Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ian Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Aug 1998 12:30:34 +1200
I have a native app which performs character based terminal i/o.
This app need to be able to work from both a hardwired terminal and from
a telnetted session (using a vt emulation which is inbuilt into the
app).

The app as it stands works fine on a hardwired connection, and I am
using FCONTROL 27 (binary), FCONTROL 13 (noecho) and FREAD for my i/o.
However, I can't get it to work for a telnet session.

I have ascertained by other postings to this list that I cannot use
FCONTROL 27 for telnet sessions. (and from the intrinsic documentation
for FCONTROL).
I have also ascertained that I cannot change the code to a unix style
"select" and read style of i/o. (See earlier posting titled: "HELP - MPE
5.5 socket select call" posted on Thurs 8th June 98). (or can I?)

I have played with FDEVICECONTROL (turning off transparent editing,
etc), but it still didn't work as well as setting the terminal to binary
mode.

My question is: Surely this is possible. Has anyone else done this? and
if so, how?
Is there any "telnet session" alternative to FCONTROL 27 binary mode?
(Using FDEVICECONTROL or otherwise).
Is there any way of detecting is I am running on a non-hardwired
connection?