HP3000-L Archives

July 1998, Week 5

From:
John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jul 1998 12:12:09 -0700
You are not going wrong. It is HP that is going wrong. There is no good
reason why JetDirect boxes/cards and PCL printers are necessary. In
fact, as Joshua Johnson noted 4/30/98:

<--snip-->

There is an undocumented feature of 5.5 printing that I was able to find
out about because I use network printing to print to a Laserjet printer
through an Intel NETXPORT print server box. Here is what you do:

In the NPCONFIG.PUB.SYS file add this line to the dev that you want to
turn off snmp to.

snmp_enabled=FALSE

example:

3000 (network_address=???.???.???.???
      TCP_port_number=3001
      snmp_enabled=FALSE)

<--snip-->

I can add a little bit to Joshua's tip: If you have a NETXPORT box with
one serial port and two parallel ports, the port number for the serial
port is 2501 and the parallel ports are 3001 and 3002. Works fine for
us.

We too would like to use non-PCL printers; however, as far as the PCL
requirement is concerned, I do not know of any (even undocumented) way
to overcome this. Which is just plain abstinence on HP's part because
all the spooler does is send some very short pcl string at the beginning
and an equally short pcl string at the end of each spool file.
[Old-timers will recall that until the early '80s you could only spool
"HP" printers serially off an HP3000. Deja vu anyone?]

And, before anyone jumps all over me, yes there are several good third
party packages that will let you print through and to just about
anything (and you will probably hear from most of the vendors). We have
one. But, none of them can be as neat and clean as MPE network printing
because they have to be bolted on rather than integrated into the
spooler.

John Burke
e-mail: [log in to unmask]