HP3000-L Archives

July 1998, Week 5

From:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jul 1998 15:09:24 -0700
Bruce writes:
> I got a notice in the mail today that Southwest Airlines is pulling out
> its "Quicket" ticket machines. These machines were located at ticket
> stated that "credit cards used in Quicket machines must have an
> expiration date on or before December, 1999."

I suspect the real reason they're removing them is due to hysterical
federal government pressure.  The feds want airlines to require
photo ID for air travellers, strictly as a psychological sop to
the non-thinking members of the public.  It does nothing to deter
a real terrorist, yet it negatively impacts all of the rest of us
in physical terms as well as philosophical terms. ... but, hey,
isn't it *great* that we're really doing something about them thar
terrorists!  And, a quick ticket machine isn't consistent with that!

Stan (why isn't a rolling stop adequate if no one else is nearby?
     because we've sacrificed a freedom (the ability to think and
     act responsibly) in favor of the simplicity of enforcement...
     think about that)
Sieler

(No, I haven't *ever* received a traffic ticket for anything
involving a stop sign or red light!)

(Yes, that's the longest parenthetical sig comment I've done so far)