HP3000-L Archives

July 1998, Week 5

From:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jul 1998 14:37:14 -0700
Hi all,

Today, we received a RoadRunner tape.

We knew enough to restore the ROADREST program from the STORE-compatible
preamble, but that was about it.  The program's syntax proved
impenetrable.

We did get to a spot where ROADREST recognized the command "HELP" ...
it said:
RoadRunner WARNING 19: Unable to open RoadRunner help file: RRHLP000.PUB.SYS

So...we called Tivoli.

Imagine our surprise when Tivoli *grilled* us on who sent us the tape,
and why, before offering any assistance on how to run ROADREST.

Come on, Tivoli ... EVERYONE should be able to get information on
how to restore files from a RoadRunner (or ORBiT or HiCOMP...etc)
backup tape.

Wait...one last bit...we've just been told they can't help us now,
we've been given an 8 digit "ticket number", and will supposedly
(our word) receive a call back from an engineer.

Luckily, through trial-and-error, we GUESSED that the following
syntax worked:

   :run roadrest
   RESTORE
   //
   GO

And...it took several passes, because we had to manually create the groups
and accounts that were needed for the files (never did figure out how
to do a "create").

Two tips for third-party backup product vendors:

   The printed listing of the STORE utility should say "for restore
   information, see: http://<whatever>/restore.html"

   And, the STORE-compatible section of the tape should have a README
   file that has restore syntax information!

--
Stan Sieler                                          [log in to unmask]
                                     http://www.allegro.com/sieler.html