HP3000-L Archives

July 1998, Week 3

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 17 Jul 1998 18:41:30 EDT
Greg writes:

> Does anyone know where I might find the speech given by the talking head
>  in the (in)famous 1984 Macintosh commercial? And, is this some historic
>  speech (from Orwell's 1984?), or was it written and conceived for the
>  commercial?

I can't answer your question directly, but I can add some trivia. That
commercial was only aired one time, during the 1984 Superbowl -- and that
single showing has added a great deal to its mystique. Secondly, the
overpowering, mind-numbing, giant-screen Big Brother that the ad was attacking
wasn't Microsoft per se -- it was Big Blue. IBM PCs had taken off like
wildfire since their introduction in late 1981. The ad was attacking the
mindless masses that marched in lockstep to a domineering IBM dictatorship.

Times do change. Sort of.

Regardless of what ultimately happens to Apple and the Mac, it was an
extraordinary advertisement and an extraordinary achievement in the history of
computing. As to the ad text, my best guess is that was just some mumbo-jumbo
written for the ad itself, but that is purely only a guess.

Wirt Atmar