HP3000-L Archives

July 1998, Week 2

From:
John Zoltak <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Zoltak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jul 1998 12:12:17 -0400
Thanks,

Too bad BPXLBIT doesn't really work on file sets. It works for a single
file but that's it. So I opted for the restart.

The reason that this question came up was this. I reloaded my system
over the weekend. RoadRunner has an option in where you can send backup
messages to a file. I called it BACKINFO. But since during every backup,
backinfo is opened, it does not get backed up. So after the reload, this
file was not there and I don't build it every time. Now, when RoadRunner
ran last night and the file was missing, RoadRunner got into a 100% CPU
loop while it was critical and could not be aborted. So I was determined
to clean this up without a restart. After tracing the process with
priv-mode DEBUG I was able to get this past the loop and the program
started running. But the job had already been aborted, so after the
directory scan and lock, it aborted -- with the store bit on.

John Zoltak
North American Mfg Co