HP3000-L Archives

July 1998, Week 2

From:
Alan AMBERS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alan AMBERS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Jul 1998 16:00:00 -0400
We use Minisoft for both Windows 3.1 and Windows 95.  The version for
Win95 is 4.3 (that is what I have here at home).  I think the version
for Win 3.1 is the same.

What stack are you using under Win 3.1?  We had major problems getting
DHCP working with the stack that came from with Minisoft.  We ended
up using Novell Client 32 (I know, that is the name of it even though
we are running it under Win 3.1 (16 bit).  Under Win95, we are using
Microsoft's TCP/IP stack.

The DHCP server software we are using is Cisco DHCP/DNS Manager running
under HP-UX.  The default time period for a DHCP lease is one day, but
under either of those client platforms, we have not had any problems
like you described.

However, we did have WRQ's RNS stack under Windows 3.1 and from time to
time, I would get an error stating that the lease had expired.  Unloading
and reloading the stack took care of it.

If you want to see if this is the problem, I would change the default
lease period from one day to two and see if your problem goes away for
one more day.

/alan

--------------------------

Marc Said....
Greetings:

I am using Minisoft WS92 Terminal Emulation on Windows 3.11.  I have an NT 4.0
acting as the DHCP control.  My workstations is across a frame relay network
from both the HP3000 and NT servers.  Every day about lunch time, my minisoft
loses its connection to the HP and requires a new login. Is this problem
related to  the lease expiration of the DHCP?

Thanks for any ideas.

Marc
e-mail:  [log in to unmask]