HP3000-L Archives

July 1998, Week 1

From:
Scott McClellan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scott McClellan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jul 1998 22:29:07 -0500

> On 1 Jul 1998 21:57:11 GMT, [log in to unmask] (Overman_James)
> wrote:
>
> >GF ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
> >: I am looking for the limit to the number of processes which can open
> >: an IMAGE data base in mode 1.
> >
> >Unofficially, the best data I have found in a quick look:
> >The default is around 600 users and/or 1800 locks.  Maximum is
> around 5000
> >processes and 15000 locks, but you have to use a undocumented? feature of
> >DBUTIL.  The RC has complete details.  I don't know what the limits are
> >if user logging is involved.  It was 128 then 256 then 1024 now ????.

The maximum number of processes that can open a given Image data base with
write access, with Image logging enabled, is 1140. The restriction comes
from
the size of user logging data structre. At present, the user logging
facility
is implemented entirely in compatibility mode. The data structure in
question
is kept in a CM DST.

We could use all the feedback we can get that helps to prioritize this
limit.
We presently have no plans to move User Logging to Native Mode. We know that
it
is commonly used, but we only know of two customers that are approach the
present
limit of 1140 users/processes per user logging ID. Both of these customers
are
moving toward other solutions (basically involving horizaontal growth
instead of
vertical growth).

The investment required to move user logging to NM is pretty significant.

How many of you out there use user logging on very high end HP3000s?

Why? For recovery? Have you ever had to use the recovery feature on
MPE/iX?

Do you read the log files with your applications?

Please share any data that heps us understand either your present usage of
user/image logging, and/or your system growht.

Thanks
Scott McClellan