HP3000-L Archives

July 1998, Week 1

From:
"Newman, Kevin:" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Newman, Kevin:
Date:
Wed, 1 Jul 1998 15:50:34 -0700
Gentle Listeners,

I'm sure that a lot of you know, especially those that have been working
with setting up a Web based front-end to MPE; how a re-FOPEN()/HPFOPEN()
of $STDLIST will fail if $STDLIST has been redirected to a pipe, and how
this causes grief when attempting to use traditional MPE languages (i.e.
non-C) to do web CGIs.

I have located two SRs that are directly related to this and have
resorted to calling the HPRC once a day until this is fixed.  (My
management was looking forward to some of the stuff I was able to demo
before moving to 5.5 and they are eagerly awaiting something that I
cannot give them until this is fixed!)  This used to work in 5.0, but
appears to have been broken in 5.5.

Anyone that is concerned about this that wants to add their "me too"
vote, may call HPRC and give them the following SR numbers: 4701344127,
and 4701347179.

A way to see the error is simple.  Find a program that you want to
demonstrate this problem with, make sure that it does not have access to
PM and do the following:

echo foo | callci <your program here> | cat -

You should end up with an error message like the following:

+-F-I-L-E---I-N-F-O-R-M-A-T-I-O-N---D-I-S-P-L-A-Y+
!  ERROR NUMBER: 0     RESIDUE: 8224     (WORDS) !
!  BLOCK NUMBER: 538976288    NUMREC: 8224       !

The more people that call about this, the sooner they will fix it!
(That is why I am calling once a day.  It puts the call into the HPRC
log so that they can see that I really want it!)

Thank you for your time!

Kevin Newman