HP3000-L Archives

July 1998, Week 1

From:
Chris Bartram <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 7 Jul 1998 17:15:23 -0400
 In <[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] writes:

> I was wondering if anyone has heard of a who's who listing of IT
> Professionals?

It's a popular scam -- also watch out for the slimeballs that try to look
like "the yellow pages". They often send companies out invoices (for ads
that were never ordered) which in verrrry small type note that "this is a
solicitation...and not actually an invoice".

The better business bureau has loads of complaints on these shucksters, and
even writes about them in some of the bbb newsletters as scams to watch out
for.

I got called thursday by one of them  -- the "american business directory"
asking for info for our "free" listing in their directory... immediately
followed by the pitch for a copy of their book... and it was right about $239
too...Hmmmm.

Caveat Emptor.

        -Chris Bartram