HP3000-L Archives

July 1998, Week 1

From:
John Korb <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Korb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jul 1998 13:16:16 -0400
Wirt said:

<snip>
>The bottom line is that we
>get very good bandwidth to Joe, although he's half a continent away from us.
>But Joe is also on the current release of MPE/iX (5.5 PP4), not the new high-
>resilency version of telnet that will appear sometime in MPE/iX 6.

<snip>

>The bottom line is this: keep an open mind about telnet. Host-based telnet is
>going to get very good very soon.
>
>Wirt Atmar

Wirt:

Thanks for the telnet info.  The systems I usually end up telneting into
are running 5.5 PP4, but there are also at least two 56Kb "trunk" lines
between the internet and the HP 3000s, so part of the problem I see is
caused by a lack of bandwidth.  From home, on a good day I see 200-370 ms
ping times.  On a typical day the ping time is around 500 to 600 ms.  A bad
day is when the ping time exceeds 2500 ms.  Telnet seems to start to fall
apart when the ping time exceeds 700 ms.  Once the ping time exceeds about
1200 ms, or if there is any packet loss, telnet becomes unusable because of
dropped characters (input) or significant data loss (dropped lines or
blocks of lines on output).  For whatever reason, on 5.5 PP4 NS-VT seems to
operate just fine when the conditions make telnet impossible to use.

From what you have said, telnet on 6.0 sounds like a vast improvement over
that of 5.5 PP4.  Now if only I could get my hands on 6.0...

Thanks again for the update on telnet,

John

John Korb                            email: [log in to unmask]
Innovative Software Solutions, Inc.

The thoughts, comments, and opinions expressed herein are mine
and do not reflect those of my employer(s), or anyone else.