HP3000-L Archives

July 1998, Week 1

From:
Lee Gunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lee Gunter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jul 1998 08:47:12 -0700
Scott,

We use Image logging on a large scale on our 996-500.  We currently define
twelve (12) log ID's, with the most heavily used process approaching 700
users.  We originally implemented logging for roll-forward recovery back in
the '80's, and we used it quite frequently after head crashes on the 7933's
in use at that time.  Admittedly, we have not had an occasion to recover a
database due to a disk failure after we migrated production to the 996 (was
a 992, originally) and implemented exclusive use of RAID-3 arrays on that
system.  We enable Rollback Recovery now, but interestingly (at least to
me) we have never had incomplete transactions backed out in the few times
we've had system failures and attempted to recover the databases.  We were
later advised that XM was probably responsible.

Aside from the recovery issue, we often do extensive auditing of selected
log files for security purposes or tracking selected transactions.  We use
Bradmark's DBAudit tool for this purpose.  We've also been able to recover
and repost accidentally deleted transactions using DBAudit and SUPRTOOL --
in a couple of cases, this amounted to several thousand deletes due to
errant batch programs.

From a performance perspective, I'm not certain that having the user
logging subsystem in CM has been a hindrance.  During performance audits, I
don't think I've ever seen a user logging process ever display as an
'interesting' transaction.

It's conceivable that we could see significant growth in the use of our
application over the next few years, and I, for one, would hate to think of
running into the 1140 users per process limit.

Lee Gunter          [log in to unmask]
Regence Blue Cross Blue Shield of Oregon / Regence HMO Oregon