HP3000-L Archives

July 1998, Week 1

From:
Bruce Senn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Senn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Jul 1998 23:31:50 -0400
At 01:07 PM -0100 07/03/98, STephane Lassire wrote:
<laments about HP "customer" service snipped>

>My private opinion is that HP support directly large companies  with HP3K
>but do not want to make more for the others.

<more disappointments snipped>

FWIW.

This may not be entirely an HP phenomenon.  Not to defend the de facto
"industry  standard", but few computer companies "support" customers who
don't spend millions of dollars.  Low hardware price and small margins are
the reason usually given.  Yup, outsource the small potatoes business to
dealers, who have a lower cost structure, who are hungrier, etc.

The counter trend seems to be that most computer companies want to be in
the "service" business, but that's contracted for, paid for service.
That's where the money is...$1,000/day plus expenses!

It's a different industry, now.  A "mainframe" for a business with
500-1,000 employees can cost less than 100,000.  White coats are out (as
are glass rooms), but small companies need their own experts to get and
keep their systems running. Expertise doesn't come from the vendor included
with the hardware- software-network equipment anymore.

The HP3000 is attractive because if works!  It runs, it stays up, and it
doesn't take a lot of effort to support.

Trouble is that buying computers (and operating systems) today is a lot
like buying burgers.  Burger King has better food, but MacDonalds gets the
market share with advertising.  Folks think the food is better because it
says so on TV.

$ .02.  My opinion.

Bruce.

  Bruce J. Senn                               Phone:  (518) 388-6664
  Senior System Manager                       FAX:    (518) 388-6458
  Union College                     Internet:  [log in to unmask]
  Schenectady, NY 12308         WWW:  http://apollo.union.edu/~sennb