HP3000-L Archives

June 1998, Week 5

From:
Jeff Vance <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Vance <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jun 1998 18:12:03 -0700
> My guess is that (like John said) relatively few people use the output to
> create analysis programs.

This opinion is shared by all responders so far.  I interpret this to
indicate that we can shift the model field right by 2 characters to
account for larger LDEV numbers.  So rather than

   LDEV-TYPE    STATUS      VOLUME (VOLUME SET - GEN)
  ----------   --------    --------------------------
  1-C2490AM     MASTER      MEMBER1         (MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET-0)

we'd have:

   LDEV-TYPE    STATUS      VOLUME (VOLUME SET - GEN)
  ----------   --------    --------------------------
12345-C2490AMxx MASTER      MEMBER1         (MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET-0)

That is, the exiting output is unchanged for LDEVs up to 3 digits and
then shifts right by up to 2 more digits to accomodate the largest
anticipated LDEV number.  This leaves 9 bytes for a disk model number
before we have to shift the output again.  Today we have 8 byte model numbers
(although the output field only shows 7 bytes) but we expect to need to
support up to 24 byte model numbers.

We could:
1) just show the first 9 bytes of the model and thus not change the
   starting column for the 'volume' and 'volume set-gen' fields.

2) reserving 24 bytes, but that seems excessive and would look like:

   LDEV-TYPE                   STATUS   VOLUME (VOLUME SET - GEN)
  ----------                  -------- --------------------------
12345-C23456789                MASTER   MEMBER1xxxxxxxxx(MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_
SET-0)

[above line wraps around on my 80 byte width screen]

3) if the model number is <= 9 bytes show it as is.  If it is > 9 bytes
   display the first 8 bytes with a '$' in the 9th byte to indicate
   truncation.

4) apply rule 3) but make the field width 12 bytes rather than 9.  This
   would look like:

   LDEV-TYPE       STATUS      VOLUME (VOLUME SET - GEN)
12345-C23456789    MASTER      MEMBER1         (MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET-0)

Comments?

Jeff Vance, CSY