HP3000-L Archives

June 1998, Week 5

From:
Duane Percox <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Duane Percox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jun 1998 14:23:03 -0700
Donna writes:

>hi all!
>
>i'm puzzled about something....  i want folks here to be
>able
>to ftp/telnet/blah from our mpe (5.5pp4) boxes to any
>machine
>on our wan that can make such a connection.  works fine
>if they use the ip address of the machine.  if, however,
>they
>use the dns name *and* it's not in hosts.net or nsdir.net
>(or more simply(?) it's not in the cache...) it won't work.
>rslvconf.net (/etc/resolv.conf) is pointing to our name
>servers and inetd is running.  nslookup off the 3000's
>works great (thanks! to whoever ported that over :-).
>
>i suspect nslookup's been 'told' to look in the resolver
>first and
>perhaps ftp/telnet look in host.net first?  is there another
>
>piece missing?          - d

I'm no great expert on this stuff, but I believe the problem
might be that the resolver config file is supposed to be
reslvncf.net.sys in mpe space. If the ftp code is expecting this
file and nslookup is using the posix name then you get the
behavior you are experiencing. An excerpt from the reslvcnf.net.sys
file on my system:

#
#resolv.conf file
#Copy this file to RESLVCNF.NET.SYS if that file does not already exist

I understand that ftp is still a netipc application, that is why I
am guessing this might be the problem.

Duane Percox ([log in to unmask]  v/650.372.0200x608 f/650.372.3386)
http://www.qss.com/          http://qwebs.qss.com/qwebs
http://qwebs.qss.com/faq3k