HP3000-L Archives

June 1998, Week 5

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 30 Jun 1998 14:27:52 EDT
Ted writes:

> let me quote Aldous Huxley:
>
>  If we evolved a race of Isaac Newtons, that would not be progress. For the
>  price Newton had to pay for being a supreme intellect was that he was
>  incapable of friendship, love, fatherhood, and many other desirable things.
>  As a man he was a failure; as a monster he was superb.

As it occurs, that's also the theme and subtext that permeates John
Steinbeck's short novel, "Of mice and men": the more intelligent you are, the
more inherently mean you are.

Only Lenny, the idiot, held himself to nobel ideas and was innocent of evil.

Wirt ("I'll deck the first person who says that this is off-topic") Atmar