HP3000-L Archives

June 1998, Week 5

From:
Christian Lheureux <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 29 Jun 1998 21:04:48 +0200
CHRISTIAN LHEUREUX@MOULINEX
29/06/98 21:04

OK, As a French citizen and Native speaker, maybe I can throw in my $.02,
or Euro0.02. Whatever ...

So Ted took a little time to write

>>Vous avez trouve par de long ennuis
>>Ce que Newton trouva sans sortir de chez lui.
>>(You have found through long trials what Newton found without leaving
home).

Or, put another way :

"You found the hard way what Newton found the easy way". My suggestion
(please take me
literally here, it's just that, my suggestion) is that it means that
whatever you were trying to find, you finally found, but after some
substantial hardship, where a very easy way existed. Or, put yet another
way, you needed a lot of thinking where someone else just got some help
from chance. Or, lke we often say here in France : "pourquoi faire simple
quand on peut faire complique", or "why do it easy when you can do it
complicated ?"

Just my late-evening contribution ...

Christian "loves cunning linguistics, eh eh eh (Art, are you there ???)"

---------------------- Envoyé par CHRISTIAN LHEUREUX/MOULINEX/FR le
29/06/98 16:34 ---------------------------

[log in to unmask] on 29/06/98 14:30:20

Veuillez répondre à [log in to unmask]

Pour :    [log in to unmask]
cc :   (ccc : CHRISTIAN LHEUREUX/MOULINEX/FR)
Objet :   Off-topic: French translation

Greetings,
  With some help from babelfish, I've hazarded a guess at the English for
the quote below.  Could someone who actually knows the language give me
some guidance?

TIA,
Ted
--
Ted Ashton ([log in to unmask]), Info Serv, Southern Adventist University
Ce que Newton trouva sans sortir de chez lui.
(You have found through long trials what Newton found without leaving
home).
                         -- Voltaire (1694-1778)
[Written to La Condamine after his measurement of the equator.]