HP3000-L Archives

June 1998, Week 4

From:
Dirickson Steve <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dirickson Steve <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 20:11:22 -0700
        <<There is still a big loop hole here in ANY Case, UNLESS there is a
way to control who subscribes.  If I am a spammer who subscribes, I can get,
in a short time, the email address of everybody on the list. I am sure i
don't need to go into how this might be done.  Of course,  by definition (and
until somebody wises up to me) anything I "post", spam. solicitation pr
whatever, goes out to the entire list.  The only answer i see is a filter,
Using a list of known spammers.  Is there some entity then that can supply
such a list and keep it updated? Otherwise it's back to the delete key.>>

Both of those capabilities (requiring approval of subscription requests and
controlling who can look at the subscriber list) are built into the software.
I am under the impression that the current configuration of hp3000-l requires
owner approval of subscription requests, but that is something that I think I
remember maybe hearing some time....

Steve