HP3000-L Archives

June 1998, Week 4

From:
Bill Lancaster <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Lancaster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 15:00:25 -0400
Jack,

Oh boy, you ask some good questions.

You can still add three disks to the controller with the DDS drives.  The
only time that would create a problem is at back-up.  As far as how many
drives you can add, my standard answer applies:  "It depends".

Determining how many drives you can safely add depends on what volume per
drive you are experiencing.  Generally, you shouldn't exceed an *average*
of 20-30 I/O's per second per controller.  Though the controller can handle
upwards of 100 i/o's per second if you are averaging 20-30 you could be
bursting at a much higher level.  Therefore, if you are running 4-6 i/o's
per second per drive, I wouldn't have more than 5-6 drives per channel.
Also remember that HP's recommendation of no more than 4 drives per channel
is typically (and rightly) conservative it doesn't take into account the
nature of i/o in your particular environment.  The best thing you can do is
look at your i/o and decide if you want to take a chance with performance.
You say that the data isn't particularly critical.  If that's the case,
maybe performance isn't a huge issue either and you can then justify taking
a bit of a performance hit for the sake of greater storage capacity.

Eliminating the mirroring solves the problem while introducing another one.
 You will look high availability (not something I usually recommend) for
extendability.  Have you considered upgrading the 987 to an RX?  This gives
you a lot more expandability.

Good luck,

Bill

At 11:26 AM 6/23/98 -0400, Calandra, Jack wrote:
>        Bill,
>
>        Thanks for the info.  Unfortunately the SCSI controller for the
internal disk is also being used by 4 DDS-2 disk drives, so I think I'm out
of luck at this point.  Just how much fudging can I safely get away with?
Since I already have 4 devices per single SCSI, can I add one more?  I
currently have these devices mirrored, so I might be able to get away with
disabling the mirror and use all the drives since the data here is non
critical.  What do you think?