HP3000-L Archives

June 1998, Week 4

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 22 Jun 1998 23:51:30 EDT
Ted Ashton asks:

> Thus it was written in the epistle of Sletten Kenneth W,
>  >
>  > For anyone planning on following Wirt's very good suggestion,
>  > make sure you have the latest edition of the manual...  actually,
>  > *everyone* working with IMAGE should get the current edition:
>  >
>  > TurboIMAGE/XL Database Management System
>  > Reference Manual
>  > Sixth Edition  --  August 1997  (E0897)
>  > HP Part Number = 30391-90001
>  >

>  I have a First Edition from 1987.  Is that close enough?  Actually, I only
>  have about half of it.  It's missing a bunch of the chapters.  And I still
>  find use for it regularly :-).
>
>  Seriously, what's the best route for getting the new version?

Based on Ted's question, I got up and looked through all of the documentation
that came with our 918DX. As it occurs, there was a very serious oversight in
our documentation package. Even though the boxes of documentation that did
arrive weighed 140 lbs., the manuals that were left out were probably the most
important of all. They are:

     IMAGE
     ALLBASE
and
     QUERY

Included in the package are some very nice manual sets on PASCAL, COBOL, C,
Posix, Transact, Business Basic, System Dictionary, etc., but absolutely no
information about the database or any of the database manuals was included.

This oversight doesn't represent much of an impediment to the old-timers --
indeed, I'm not sure that I would have noticed if it hadn't been for Ted's
question -- but it would really be a show-stopper to someone new to the
HP3000, and they're really the reason for the development of the 918DX program
in the first place.

Wirt Atmar