HP3000-L Archives

June 1998, Week 4

From:
Dirickson Steve <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dirickson Steve <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 18:48:08 -0700
        <<So now we are dealing with vendor support, and these guys are very
        confused by the "off brand" of protocol that the DTC to HP link uses.
        Recently someone posted the name of this protocol, and I printed out
the
        message, which I promptly lost. I need to be able to talk about this
        protocol to these guys, and I know very little about it. I assume
that
        the DTC throws a packet similar to a UNIX bootp packet out, and if
the
        HP receives the packet the HP throws some info at the DTC and then
        starts the code download. When the download is complete, the DTC can
        transmit back and forth to the HP and respond to some IP/UDP
requests,
        but the conversation between DTC and HP is not really TCP/IP, is not
        routable, and has to be bridged. Can anyone tell me anything more
about
        DTC to HP connectivity?"

According to our friends at Cisco, "The Avesta Flow Control Protocol (AFCP)
is HP's LAT. The HP terminal controllers (DTCs) use AFCP to talk to HP3000s
for remote sessions. AFCP is written on top of 802.3, so it has no addressing
and must be bridged."

And at http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/99/2.html
<http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/99/2.html>  they mention that

"Q: What is the type code (or LSAP) for AFCP, and how can you set up a Cisco
to bridge only AFCP?

A: You can't. All HP packets from a DTC (including HP Probe VNA, HP
Probe-Proxy, and AFCP) use the LSAP FCFC. HP then uses the "HP Extended SAP,"
which incorporates the first 4 bytes of the data portion to determine the
exact packet type. So, unless you want to stop all HP traffic, you cannot use
an LSAP list."

Steve