HP3000-L Archives

June 1998, Week 3

From:
Doug Werth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Doug Werth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 15:50:26 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: Stigers, Greg ~ AND <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wednesday, June 17, 1998 2:16 PM
Subject: Request for comment on backup procedures

<snip>

>I have requested that our data center verify our weekly full backups,
>which are performed on Sundays. They are questioning this, and
>suggesting that if we question DAT integrity, we move to a technology
>that we do trust. I am also told that no one else regularly verifies
>backups along these lines.

There are plenty of companies that regularly validate their backups. And to
say that just because you are questioning whether or not something works is
the sole reason to switch technologies is ludicrous. Does this mean that
switching to a different technology that they would not test it simply
because they trust it? Blind faith in a storage technology, not matter what
it is, is not enough. Backups must be verified.

While VSTORE works fairly well to check for media errors on the tape, it
does not verify anything against what is on disk. IMHO the best method,
while not always feasible, is to restore files from the backup onto another
machine. Then run some batch jobs against it to check the logical integrity
of the data.

Doug.

Doug Werth                                     Beechglen Development Inc.
[log in to unmask]                                       Cincinnati, Ohio

The opinions expressed do not necessarily represent the views or opinions
of Beechglen Development. They might, but not necessarily. They represent
solely the opinions of the author.