HP3000-L Archives

June 1998, Week 3

From:
Costas Anastassiades <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Costas Anastassiades <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 10:05:40 +0300
I find the way this type of thing usually works, is that the "Import"
function is much more powerful than the "Export" ;) There's no need for any
SW company to assist you to move to a competitor, yet there are plenty of
reasons to assist you to move "from" the competitor. IOW, MS Exchange might
be able to import Netscape messages and Netscape might be able to import
Exchange messages. I doubt they could export to each others format. Same
difference you might say ...

On a side note, MS Outlook Express, when setting up detects any configured
mail system and prompts you whether to import it's messages and address
books or not. Even after set-up there is an "on the fly" Import function to
import messages and address books from a variety of systems, one of which is
of course Netscape. The Export function, which is also available, is
naturally less powerful and can export only to Exchange.

I know there are lots of "Favourite" and "Bookmark" list import-export
freeware/shareware programs floating about. There may well be one for email
messages. You could try www.shareware.com or www.winfiles.com

Costas Anastassiades,
Athens-Greece

p.s. one side-effect of using MS Outlook Express, appears to be that
messages sent to non MS Outlook Express users, appear as attachments. At
least mine do (kindly pointed out by Dennis Beauchemin). I have tried to
solve this, but I think there is added complexity due to the Greek character
set ...