HP3000-L Archives

June 1998, Week 3

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
[log in to unmask][log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, 17 June, 1998 7:20 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: listserv suspend

Is there a way to turn off this listserv when you go on vacation???38_17Jun199819:59:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 13:07:38 EDT
Bruce writes:

> According to an article on TechWeb --
>
>    <http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/comdig/TWB19980612S0003>
>
>  that quotes Compaq CEO Eckhard Pfeiffer, the company's strategy for
>  absorbing Digital Equipment Corporation is to kill the brand name and
>  move all VMS customers to NT.

I didn't know this for sure, but all the signs pointed in this direction.
However, saying it out loud is probably the dumbest thing that anybody could
say.

Compaq may as well stop spending money on Digital advertisements today. From
now on, it's now a total waste of money. They're never going to sell another
machine. And every current DEC user is now put in the position of trying to
determine what they're going to, how soon they're going to have to do it --
and most of them are going to be so mad that they're almost certain to not
want anything to do with Compaq in the future.

If it's Windows NT Compaq wants them to buy, they can buy that from anyone. I
don't think Compaq truly understands what they're selling, what they own, and
how precarious a position they've put themselves in.

However, on the bright side, it does make our decision not to support DEC
emulation into QCTerm seem more reasonable. Pfeiffer's comment is what I
expected to happen over the long term, but I never expected anyone to admit
it, especially so early in the game.

Wirt Atmar