HP3000-L Archives

June 1998, Week 3

From:
Ted Ashton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ted Ashton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 21:54:07 -0400
Thus it was written in the epistle of Wirt Atmar,

> However, on the bright side, it does make our decision not to support DEC
> emulation into QCTerm seem more reasonable.

With all due respect Wirt (and no, this isn't an attempt to convince you to do
anything), I don't see what DEC's demise has to do with it.  Unless my
experience is truly unique, the primary use of DEC emulation is to connect to
non-Dec Un*x boxes.  Those will continue to exist and I expect that VT100, et
al will continue to be a very standard method of connecting to a whole lot of
machines.  Shoot, we even use an entirely 3000-based product which we purchased
and then discovered that the setup screens depend on VT emulation.

Ted
--
Ted Ashton ([log in to unmask]), Info Serv, Southern Adventist University
Neither you nor I nor anybody else knows what makes a mathematician tick. It