HP3000-L Archives

June 1998, Week 3

From:
Steve Weisbrod <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Weisbrod <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jun 1998 09:08:35 -0400
Bill Lancaster wrote:

<snip>
>The bottom line is that if RUG's are going to be successful, they have to
>"think outside the box" and try to become more relevant.  They can't simply
>say "here's our meeting, please come".  They have to identify a need, match
>solutions to that need and market the result.  Most people don't have time
>for anything else.
>
>Bill Lancaster

I certainly found that to be true with the CINMUG (cincinnati/metropolitan
user group). You have to make the meeting both interesting and attractive.
My favorite cinmug meeting (and we had great attendance) was a few years
ago. It was held in a conference room at the Cincinnati Fire Museum and the
speaker topics were disaster recovery, the new Halon regulations and
computer equipment security(not the software security but physical plant &
equipment security). This was followed by tours of the museum and a
'fire-house chili' supper. It was a really neat evening.

One of the problems with putting together a RUG meeting schedule is when to
have the meetings. If its during the day there are people who can't come
because their company won't let them out. If its in the evening there are
people who can't attend because of family commitments. In the 'old days' it
was easier because most companies would let their 'computer professionals'
attend seminars and conferences. Then, in the 80s when 'things' got tough,
everyone had their budgets cut to the bone and continuing education became a
luxury.

All in all, running a RUG is a difficult job. My hat's off to all of those
dedicated people who make up the various RUG boards all over world.

Steve Weisbrod
Beechglen Development Inc
Cincinnati, Ohio