HP3000-L Archives

June 1998, Week 3

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
HP-3000 Systems Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 12:54:13 -0700
Joe Geiser writes:

>> discretionary body may decide to close down this list because of  the
>> threatening language used in some of the postings. Who knows? I don't
>> want to take the risk.
>>
>> Please stop all the pejorative! Please stop all the threats!
>
>Listservers are a public forum, and if someone says something here that is
>illegal speech in a public forum (defamatory, threatening, whatever), then
>it's not kosher here either.
>People need to use their little DEL key, and not even read it.  The fact
>that the title is phrased as it is, says that it's Spam BS.

It's not as simple as the DEL key, at least not for me and probably not
for Jeff Kell (the list manager), either. The problem is that these posts
get archived. In my case, the posts end up on a web page, and then it's
*my* server that's dishing up the threats/racial slurs/child porn
ads/whatever. I try to edit this stuff out, but I don't always catch it.
Yes, I know that sueing me is like sueing a property owner for the
graffiti that someone else scribbled on his wall, but that may seem
perfectly fair to some people.

-- Bruce

Bruce Toback    Tel: (602) 996-8601| My candle burns at both ends;
OPT, Inc.            (800) 858-4507| It will not last the night;
11801 N. Tatum Blvd. Ste. 142      | But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -
Phoenix AZ 85028                   | It gives a lovely light.
btoback AT optc.com                |     -- Edna St. Vincent Millay
Mail sent to [log in to unmask] will be inspected for a
fee of US$250. Mailing to said address constitutes agreement to
pay, including collection costs.