HP3000-L Archives

June 1998, Week 2

From:
Holger Wiemann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Holger Wiemann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jun 1998 19:13:01 +0200
Hi Glen,

if the hard disc to replace IS NOT ldev 1 and you want to replace
it with the exact same model then I see the chance to use

VOLUTIL's COPYVOL command to make a bitwise copy of your original
disc.

The steps should be:

1. configure a new ldev for the new disc within SYSGEN
2. shutdown your system, power off
3. plug in the new disc (don't forget to use a FREE SCSI ID!)
4. restart the system in single disc mode (refer to your manuals)
5. logon and check with 'dstat all' whether all discs are in state
   LONER! Ldev 1 is mounted, the new disc is UNKNOWN; if it also
   in LONER state, scratch it within volutil
6. now use copyvol to copy the volume
7. shutdown the system, power off
8. replace the old disc with the new one, don't forget to use the
   old SCSI address!
9. restart the system, START NORECOVERY
10. delete the ldev of step 1 within SYSGEN

So, I never tested this, no guarantee, but it sounds logical to me. ;-)

Holger Wiemann
HP Response Center, Germany