HP3000-L Archives

June 1998, Week 2

From:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jun 1998 11:08:57 +0000
At 06:17 12.06.1998 EST, Ron wrote:
>There is a point (I forget exactly where, but I've complained
>about it in the past and got no meaningful response) where
>a redundant restore of subsystem product files will occur
>(obviously only if the process involves a subsystem tape).

When installing an Express release (ie SUBSYS plus PowerPach),
the Patch/iX program will request the SUBSYS media twice. Once
during phase I (to get an idea about the contents) and once in
phase II (to actually restore subsystem files).

As phase I can be performed with users working on the system,
Patch/iX cannot restore the subsystem files at that stage. But
it needs to know the SUBSYS contents for qualifying patches.

Good old AUTOINST did not require the SUBSYS media mounted twice,
it did restore all files immediately. With the downside that an
AUTOINST ADD-ON (Subsys with optional PowerPatch) required that
all users be off the system for the whole duration of the process,
i.e. no Phase I / Phase II model here.

Hope this helps.

Lars.

PS: Older Patch/iX manuals failed to mention that PatchIX will
    request to mount the SUBSYS tape during phase II. They only
    had a note on the CSLT being requested. (Been there, stumbled
    across that ;-)