HP3000-L Archives

May 1998, Week 4

From:
Chris Bartram <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 26 May 1998 18:08:38 -0400
 In <[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] writes:

>   Sorry for this somewhat off topic post, but the following
> pushed all of my "pet peeve" buttons.

> hp2000.com (yeah, what have they done for the 2000 lately!)
> hp3000.com
> hp9000.com
> hpux.com
> command.com

>   This sort of 'Internet real estate' grab hacks me off.  They
> may offer HP3000 related services I don't know them, but if
> they aren't even going to say anything related to the domain
> names they scarf up, then they should leave those for people
> that will!
>   I'm not looking for anyone to support/defend this position.
> I just wanted to vent a little.

I certainly agree! I wonder if HP legal should look into this. I happen to
know they did take issue to someone using another "HPxxxxx.com" name some
time ago. I gotta think they'd be at least a little miffed at some of those.

There has been legislation proposed to ban the "resale" of Internet domain
names (i.e. for those that didn't have legitimate use of them in the first
place) - I hope that stuff gets passed.

Someone wanna forward these notes on to HP legal?  :-)

                -Chris Bartram

(remove "nospam" from address for personal replies)