HP3000-L Archives

May 1998, Week 4

From:
Ron Hoffman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ron Hoffman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 May 1998 16:29:02 GMT
On Fri, 15 May 1998 20:59:26 GMT, [log in to unmask] wrote:

>Lots of rumors on the premature failure of these drives and of the poor
after-sales service. Anyone with an experience to share ?
>Please Post

I have two Fireball SCSI HD's by them (appx 3.4 Gigs each), bought last
October and December.  Both have failed.  Their replacement/repair worked
fine as the warrantee stipulated, but it was a pain.  After finally getting
to talk with a real person from their customer support group, I was issued
a RMA and sent them both in one package.  It took about two weeks to get
them back, but they are both working fine so far.  Since they responded
positively, I will probably buy from them again, but that really remains to
be seen, as I continue to observe the performance of the returned HD's.

My worst experience has been with Hewlett Packard HD's (they no longer make
them, as last I heard).  My two have been back three times each with the
same failure.  From the six separate failures, the data lost has been
unrecoverable.  That company is on my black-list.

Wf

(remove the redundant 'on' in the address to reply via e-mail)