HP3000-L Archives

May 1998, Week 2

From:
John Korb <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Korb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 May 1998 15:18:29 -0400
They use white 9"x12" envelopes with "COMPANY SENSITIVE" in bold red print
on them and a line "To:_____________" with "(to be opened by adressee
only)" underneath.  The envelopes are sealed before being placed in
intra-building mail.  If they leave the building, they must be hand
carried.  If they are opened and read and then need to be forwarded to
someone else, they must be put in a fresh envelope and sealed.  The
contents are NEVER to be photocopied or FAXed.  If they need to be filed,
they must be kept in a locked file cabinet (one kept locked all day and
night and only opened when someone needs to put something in or take
something out).  They cannot be put in a file cabinet or on a desk or in a
desk that is unlocked for more than 5 minutes at a time, or is ever
unattended while unlocked.  When it comes time to destroy the document, it
is shredded and placed in a "burn bag" for special disposal.

This applies to any sensitive document, including such computer documents
as passwords, lockwords, ciphers, etc.  Some $STDLISTs are also considered
sensitive.

Similar rules apply to mag tapes and CD-ROMs.  Locking cases are used for
the transport of reel tapes, DDS tapes, CD-ROMs, and floppy disks.

John

At 02:00 PM 5/11/98 +0000, Chad Gilles wrote:
>I know it's off topic, but just thought some of you could help answer a
>question one of our data security officers posed.
>
>How do other companies handle CONFIDENTIAL internal memos, papers, ect.
>In transporting within a business environment, or among campus
>buildings.  Anything special, or is it handled just like all other
>inter-office mail. What about the disposal of such information?
>
>You get the picture....
>
>I suggest sending any responses privately so the list isn't cluttered
>with off-topic responses.
>
>Thanks!
>
>--
>**                                    **
>**  Chad Gilles                       **
>**  Sr. Software Analyst              **
>** ---------------------------------- **
>**  American United Life              **
>**  One American Sq.                  **
>**  Indianapolis, IN 46206-0368       **
>** ---------------------------------- **
>**  Ph.  317-263-1423                 **
>**  Fx.  317-263-1956                 **
>**  EM.  [log in to unmask]           **
>** ---------------------------------- **
>**                                    **

John Korb                            email: [log in to unmask]
Innovative Software Solutions, Inc.

The thoughts, comments, and opinions expressed herein are mine
and do not reflect those of my employer(s), or anyone else.