HP3000-L Archives

May 1998, Week 2

Date:
Tue, 5 May 1998 20:16:50 GMT
In article <01bd7695$32862a20$010113ac@master>, Richard Gambrell
<[log in to unmask]> writes:

>The only protocol that I know that could go that distance is either the
>"long
>cable" spec supported on some 10baseT  hubs (but meant for
>backbone/hub to hub connections), or 100VG-Anylan.  Is the cable
>CAT 5? I don't recall just what qualifications and details 100VG puts
>around the longer cable.
>
>While 100VG isn't too popular, it would appear to be a good fit in your
>situation and allow you to put off new cabling - you might even get some
>good deals in the used market.  Be sure to buy HP NICs, so you get
>good driver support and it will continue at least for a while.
>
>Richard Gambrell

The 100VG specs are found at www.100vg.com. I think the more folks read about
the 100VG the more likely they are to look at deploying it in LAN upgrades. The
HP3000 has had 100VG cards available since last fall and as you will see from
the web site there are quite a few card/hub/router suppliers including HP,
Compaq, Cisco etc. ... hope this helps.

Birket

PS It does mean you will need to test to be sure the whole of the CAT5 is CAT5
- I have seen issues at the punchdown block.
Birket Foster
M. B. Foster Associates .. the 1-800-ANSWERS people!
Supplying DataExpress w/ODBCLink Option (16&32) and EDI
(613) 448-2333 or (613) 448-2588 (FAX)
(See our website at WWW.MBFOSTER.COM)