HP3000-L Archives

May 1998, Week 2

From:
Therm-O-Link <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Therm-O-Link <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 May 1998 18:08:30 -0400
Cary:

You wrote:

>We've recently upgraded a third party payroll package on our development
>machine. This required setting up new tables which are included in a
single
>Image dataset. We're getting ready to run the upgrade again ( for practice
>before upgrading our production machine) on the developmnent machine, but
we
>would like to avoid re-doing all the table entries again. And those same
>tables will be used on the production machine as well. So here's my
>question:  What's the best way of storing/restoring that dataset?  We're
>running MPE/ix 5.0 with Adager.
>I know that you can  STORE the db and RESTORE individual datasets, but I'm
>concerned that I might get into trouble with the root file.  The payoll
>folks suggested a procedure to use Query to save the dataset entries to a
>file and use Dbgeneral to write the info back into the dataset, but we
don't
>have that option.
>
>Thanks for any help....Cary Marshall

I have a COBOL program that will read QUERY SAVEd files and DBPUT the data
into the dataset and database of your choice.  If you would like a copy of
the program, I can (hopefully) email it to you (we don't have Web access
nor a Web presence nor FTP access).  I use it all the time to save data
sets when testing so I can always restore the data sets I want back to a
known condition.  It runs on our 918 running 5.5 pp0 just fine.

Jim Phillips                            Manager of Information Systems
Voice: (915) 860-9933                   Therm-O-Link of Texas, Inc.
  Fax: (915) 860-9936                   1295 Henry Brennan
Email: [log in to unmask]       El Paso, Texas   79936