HP3000-L Archives

May 1998, Week 2

From:
Sletten Kenneth W <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sletten Kenneth W <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 May 1998 22:52:45 -0700
Thomas Genute said:

> Note that with 5.5 pp04, the only entry in the default gateway
> must be the "@".  Otherwise, it will not be recognized as the
> default gateway.  ....

Are you sure it doesn't work if the "@" is the *first* entry, even
if there are others that follow it ??  Steve Dirickson confirmed
that it definitely does NOT work if the "@" is anything but first
in the list, but I thought anything that followed the "@" would
not preclude recognition of the default gateway....  well, no time
to test on that sidebar tonight or any time soon;  just thought I
would mention it.

> In my experience, I've been able to leave the 'hops' at 0.

Once long ago I was doing some convoluted FTP transfer to
an internal HP machine or whatever it was, and I got an error
message that said "exceeded maximum number of hops (15)"
or something like that.  I set some of our external "max number
of hops" up to like 30, and didn't see the problem again...  note
this was BEFORE we tried putting in the "@" to throw everything
at the default router gateway.

Anyway, just wondering if there is any real downside to setting
"number of hops" at some reasonable intermediate level, like,
say, 10 or 12 ??... or, for that matter, at 30 ??

Ken Sletten