HP3000-L Archives

May 1998, Week 1

Date:
Wed, 6 May 1998 13:05:52 EDT
In a message dated 5/5/98 10:32:13 PM Mountain Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> What you want to do will be difficult without any tools but let's see if we
>  can give it a shot.
>
>  First, you are very likely close, or beyond, the limits of your 928.  (This
>  is obviously a guess but it stands to reason).  Second, while terminal
>  emulation via Reflection over the network doesn't take a great deal more
>  resources, it does take *some* more.  Given that you may very well be close
>  to the "knee" in the performance curve, it may not take a lot to push you
>  into the realms of unacceptable response times.  (BTW, the "knee" in the
>  performance curve is a magical description of when adding a little more
>  load, response times increase out of proportion to the additional load,
>  potentially exponentially.  Hmmm, "potentially exponentially"??
>  Schoolhouse Rock time...)

We are getting some spotty response time, but so far we have attributed it to
the Network as most of the slowdown occurs on the PC connections and not
terminals connected to the DTC.

>  You don't mention how much memory you are actually running but, having seen
>  the Inlex application several times, I don't have any reason to believe
>  that it won't benefit from additional memory or won't suffer significantly
>  from a lack of memory.  The bottom line is that there is no such thing as
>  too much memory and spending much time evaluating memory performance
>  doesn't make a lot of sense given how incredibly cheap memory is.

We have 128MB of memory.  Now a majority of our machines (about 60-70%) are
logged into the system but are not actively doing anything.  These are the
terminals that the kids use to look up books.  I don't know if that would make
a difference, but I thought I would let you know.

>  With respect to performance tools, there isn't a public domain performance
>  analysis product.  Do you have Glance, from HP?  You may have it and not
>  know it because HP generally ships free 90 day demos of the product with
>  operating system version upgrades.  Look for [log in to unmask]@.SYS and see what you
>  find.  There is a documentation file included and will tell you how to get
>  the demo started.  If you don't have the free demo, call the folks at Lund
>  for an evaluation copy.  They take a long-term approach and are usually
>  more than willing to work with companies in your situation.

I found GLINSTAL, GLREADME, GLTRUCK, GLUNPACK.  I doubt that they have ever
been used.  Now for the dumb question of the week (can you tell I'm still a
newbie?), how do I print out the readme file?  Could I print it to my PC and
capture it in reflections and then print it.  My only printer is in another
building and if I print it there, I may never see it!  Better yet, could I
just transfer the file to my PC with Reflections and then print the file?

Thanks again for your help.

Wendell