HP3000-L Archives

May 1998, Week 1

From:
Bob Graham <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Graham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 May 1998 16:40:27 -0400
At 02:51 PM 5/5/98 -0500, <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>This might be a real dumb question, but :
>
>If I want to access TurboIMAGE data from a COBOL program, do I have
>to use DB* intrinsics or can I do it using the standard COBOL  I/O
>commands ?
>
>TIA.

Actually, it isn't a dumb question...in my early HP3K days, I wondered the
same thing.  Just too chicken to ask anyone.  So, I tried it and it worked,
but it just didn't seem very elegant.

Now, after a couple of lines of COBOL68/74/89/?? have passed under the
bridge, I have to ask why would anyone want to?  Personally (that's
PERSONALLY, gang), I think the DB intrinsics are easier to use than the
"standard" HP intrinsics.

Now, the VPLUS intrinsics...they are definitely horses of a different
color.  Or related to some part of a horse, anyway.

Bob "still scratching his old grey head" Graham