HP3000-L Archives

May 1998, Week 1

From:
Jeff Woods <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Woods <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 May 1998 11:01:59 -0500
At 10:37 AM 5/1/98 -5, James B. Byrne wrote:
>RESTORE ENCOUNTERED MEDIA READ ERROR ON LDEV 8  (S/R 1251)
>SPECIFICALLY, RESTORE RECEIVED ERROR -35 FROM THE IO
> SYSTEM (S/R 1555)

The error message was generated by a RESTORE from your tape drive at LDEV 8.
There was a low level I/O (which happens to be subsys 113) error -35
received from the device.  Subsys 113, error -35 is (or at least was a few
years ago) called "llio_data_error" and means "Parity, CRC or other
data-type error was detected."

This implies that either the tape being read or the drive doing the reading
had a problem.  Did you validate the media (via VSTORE, TINDEX or something
similar)?  If not, then you probably want to.  You may wind up having to
order another tape from HP or having your drive serviced if it's not
specific to one tape.

P.S.  Have you cleaned the heads on the drive recently?
--
Jeff Woods
[log in to unmask] at Tivoli Systems