HP3000-L Archives

May 1998, Week 1

From:
Tony Knowles <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony Knowles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 May 1998 14:51:57 +1200
Lars
It probably was only NS/VT, I don't remember the console having any
problems and I did't try any local DTC connections. I did wonder about all
the extra VTSERVER processes, but didn't see anything untoward in Glance
(not a Glance expert). Memory could be a problem, only have 96Mb!!!!
However, things seem to have improved, I reset the maximum number of
connections in NMMGR from 128 to 4096 (as suggested by Chris Boggs) and
last weekend I upgraded to pp3. One of the final steps for this was to
stream JCONFJOB.NET.SYS which I hadn't done previously after the network
changes. Anyway as far as I'm concerned response seems to be pretty much
back to normal.
Tony Knowles     [log in to unmask]

----------
> From: Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Poor response over network connections
> Date: Sunday, 3 May 1998 02:04
>
> At 11:23 28.04.1998 +1200, you wrote:
> >Since I switched most of my connections from serial to network
(Reflection
> >using NS/VT) response has take a serious nose dive! Any suggestions
where I
> >should start to look to resolve the problem, I didn't see anything in
NMMGR
> >that looked very helpful. This is on a 918, 5.5 pp0.
>
> Do only NS/VT users suffer poor response times or DTC users or console,
too?

> As far as I understand, NS/VT sessions need more resources on the 3000
than
> DTC sessions, for example an additional process (VTSERVER) per session.
If
> your 3000 was already close to being "maxed out" (eg at memory) then
these
> additional processes might have have shifted it into the "knee" of the
MPE