HP3000-L Archives

May 1998, Week 1

From:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 May 1998 15:04:08 +0100
At 11:23 28.04.1998 +1200, you wrote:
>Since I switched most of my connections from serial to network (Reflection
>using NS/VT) response has take a serious nose dive! Any suggestions where I
>should start to look to resolve the problem, I didn't see anything in NMMGR
>that looked very helpful. This is on a 918, 5.5 pp0.

Do only NS/VT users suffer poor response times or DTC users or console, too?

As far as I understand, NS/VT sessions need more resources on the 3000 than
DTC sessions, for example an additional process (VTSERVER) per session. If
your 3000 was already close to being "maxed out" (eg at memory) then these
additional processes might have have shifted it into the "knee" of the MPE
typical performance curve...

Just an idea, in case the network resourse analysis won't give any clues...
A performance tool like Glance or SOS should be helpful to invest the issue.

Lars (guessing only for myself, not for HP, as usual)