HP3000-L Archives

May 1998, Week 1

From:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
[log in to unmask][log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Does anyone know a good middleware?
>
> You've got quite a few options depending upon what configuration
> of systems you have or are looking for. This is by no means
> an all inclusive list, so for those that I miss, someone please
> fill in the missing pieces :)
>
> B) Proprietary Middleware:
> 1. LeeTech AIM/CSF & Standby
> 2. MiddleMan from Minisoft

3. NetBase Client API from Quest Software
[...]52_5May199810:10:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Fri, 1 May 1998 08:26:29 -0500
Oracle (22 lines)
Oracle Corp. appears to me to be pushing hard toward thin client, Web
and Java based clients without any host based (character based) clients.
Only native platform for Designer2000 2.x forms is 32 bit windows.
This will allow the HP3K to compete on even terms with other Oracle
platforms (since Oracle dropped support new versions of character forms
on the 3K some time ago) - but of course this requires Oracle8.  Oracle
is also pushing hard at selling it's own applications.

Thus, it sounds to me like a perfect opportunity (once given Oracle 8
support) for a partnering between HP3000 knowledgeable resellers and
implementation consultants (and such) and Oracle to sell DBMS and
applications with HP3K hosts.  It would also do much to establish the
credibility of the resurgence of the HP3K - there is a lot of history
and rumor to overcome.

Richard Gambrell
(Soon to be moving from Xavier of Louisiana to do consulting long
term for U. of Tenn. at Chattanooga [where Jeff Kell is], which is great,
except unfortunately the work is to assist in implementing an HPUX/Oracle
commercial package for Higher Ed. that isn't supported [or is no longer
supported] on the 3K by the software vendor SCT.)