HP3000-L Archives

April 1998, Week 5

Date:
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 07:08:21 -0700
Pete Crosby writes:

>I agree with the arrogance part. But, I don't think John was being
>arrogant at all. He was merely expressing his disbelief that a company
>would hire a person to control their computer system and then not
>give them the most basic level of training. And I agree with him on this
>point. I see it every day and it is very sad. These operators are being
>set up to fail in their new jobs.

The person who asked the question obviously knew that (a) he had to have
users off during a backup, and (b) there must be a way to do it. This
doesn't sound like someone inexperienced with computers, just
inexperienced with the HP 3000.

It's also the case that newsgroups are ways of getting specific command
information. Granted, this person should have been reading the manual.
But does HP ship printed, browsable manuals any more? Or do you expect
new HP 3000 users to wedge themselves in front of their PCs for hours on
end, reading undersized chunks of fuzzy print and trying to make sense of
a manual's organization by putting it together from a couple of thousand
tiny, disconnected views?

>I don't know how many times I have been involved with down systems, the
>recovery of which was hampered greatly by the operator's inability to
>perform even the most basic tasks.

I'd be curious to find out what task is so complex that you can't talk
the operator through it. I have no problem working through someone who's
following instructions. It's the ones who don't follow instructions, or
who do their own interpretations and then give me interpreted rather than
raw data, that I find frustrating. That has nothing to do with the state
of someone's training.

-- Bruce

Bruce Toback    Tel: (602) 996-8601| My candle burns at both ends;
OPT, Inc.            (800) 858-4507| It will not last the night;
11801 N. Tatum Blvd. Ste. 142      | But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -
Phoenix AZ 85028                   | It gives a lovely light.
btoback AT optc.com                |     -- Edna St. Vincent Millay
Mail sent to [log in to unmask] will be inspected for a
fee of US$250. Mailing to said address constitutes agreement to
pay, including collection costs.